The Burial Books of Muiderberg 1669-1812

  • Burial Books Muiderberg 1669-1811, Jits van Straten

An indispensable source for Jewish genealogy.

The Jewish cemetery Muiderberg was put into use by the Ashkenazi community in 1642. Prior to this date, the Ashkenazi Jews of Amsterdam were also buried at the Portuguese-Jewish cemetery at Ouderkerk aan de Amstel. This cemetery didn’t have the capacity to accommodate the growing sister community.
In 1642 or shortly after, the religious burial society Gmiloeth Chasadim (Gemiloes Chasodiem) was established. This society took over the task from the older Portuguese sister society to provide the last acts of love to the deceased. The members carried out the ritual acts connected with the preparation for burial. The oldest regulations date from the year 1668.
The current registration starts at the beginning of 1669 only and can be found in the Amsterdam Municipal Archives (Stadsarchief Amsterdam). In 1660 the neighboring cemetery of the Polish-Jewish community was put into use. As both communities merged in 1673, so did their cemeteries.
Up to the introduction of the Civil Registry (Burgerlijke Stand) in 1811, the total number of persons known by name and buried at Muiderberg is 10.950, of which approximately 2550 are children.

Leave a Reply

  • Book type: PDF
  • Suitable for: All digital media
  • Author: Jits van Straten
  • Language: Dutch, English
  • Type: Source material
  • Tags: Jews, Jewish history, Jewish genealogy, Amsterdam, Muiderberg, cemetery, Stadsarchief